Syllabus for English Literature 9
Garfield -Palouse High School
We will begin the year by looking at the elements of the story, progressing from short stories, to novels and plays. Materials covered will be as follows:
- Literary elements and devices (irony, plot, setting, etc.)
- The short story and elements thereof: The Cask of Amontillado, The Most Dangerous Game etc.
- Dramatic reading/viewing of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet
- Oral presentations: Mythology
- Poetry: Study of literary elements (alliteration, personification, simile and metaphor etc.) through the reading/writing of certain poems.
- Novels: The Pearl, and The Hunger Games.
I am not providing a timeframe for the material listed above as it is difficult to pinpoint the length of time it will take to complete each section.
Daily work 20%
A=90 to 100
B=80 to 89
C=70 to 79
D=60 to 69
F= 59 or below