Course Outline and Procedures English 9 Mr. Thompson
Course overview: English 9 will focus on a variety of literature including short stories, poetry, drama, novels, and non-fiction; building on and enriching vocabulary; effective writing; personal and independent reading, research and internet usage; and speaking and listening.
- Identify various forms of literature: short story, poetry, drama, novel, article, and biographies.
- Identify structure and elements of forms of literature: plot, mood, setting, theme, and characterization.
- Recognize the influence on modern society of earlier values throughout different historical settings.
- Recognize the use of figurative language in literature: irony, simile, metaphor, foreshadowing, etc.
- Improve reading skills, listening skills, and speaking skills.
- Increase student vocabulary.
- Write complete, effective sentences. Write in a variety of forms: poems, journals, essays, etc.
- Plan, organize and complete a virtual presentation.
- Use library/internet skills appropriate for student needs.
- Enrichment opportunity: Read a novel independently.
Daily procedures: Students are expected to be prepared and on time for class each day during the live stream portion of the class. If that is not possible, then students will need to attend class via the recorded session sometime during that day in order to be counted as present for class. If students do not check in, they will be marked absent, and parents will be notified.
Students will be able to access all of the classroom materials and assignments via Google Classroom. It is the student’s responsibility to access the assignments and complete them on time. If a student has a question, the best way to contact me is via email which I check at least hourly. I will always do my best to respond as quickly as possible. I can also be contacted by phone or google meet if necessary. The best time to contact me with questions is Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 11:00am.
This is an entirely new platform for all of us, and there will probably be some hiccups along the way, but we will work through them together.