Syllabus for English Literature 11
Garfield -Palouse High School
We will begin the year by looking at the elements of story, progressing from short stories, to novels and plays. We will review basic elements of grammar and usage, and composition. Material covered will be as follows:
- Literary elements and devices (irony, plot, setting, etc.)
- The short story and elements thereof: A Rose for Emily, The Pedestrian, Harrison Bergeron etc.
- Dramatic reading/viewing of William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar
- Virtual presentations: Civil Rights
- Poetry: Study of literary elements (alliteration, personification, simile and metaphor etc.) through the reading/writing of certain poems.
- Novels: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Red Badge of Courage, A Separate Peace Call of the Wild, Shane
- Research project Tied in with Civil Rights presentations
- Essays writing/the essay test question
I am not providing a timeframe for the material listed above as it is difficult to pinpoint the length of time it will take to complete each section.
Daily work 20%
A=90 to 100
B=80 to 89
C=70 to 79
D=60 to 69
F= 59 or below