In order to significantly increase student long-term success in any class, parents with students could
1) Check your child's teacher's web page and Google Classroom with them for a Week at a Glance. Ask your child specific questions about assignments he/she is working on. Take the time to look at what he/she is doing, even if he/she says it is done. Ask him/her to bring it home. I am happy to have you assist your child in any way you see fit and appropriate. [When in school also check their daily planner. I always have the students write down what is due the next day as well as giving several days heads-up to projects, quizzes, and tests.]
2) Look over notes a few times a week for 15 minutes or so: the information stays fresh, students will gain a greater understanding of the material, and they will be more prepared for quizzes and exams.
3) Look over vocabulary a few times a week for the same reasons as looking over the notes. It reinforces the concepts discussed in class.
4) Create flashcards for terms and concepts, placing a word on one side and the definition/concept on the opposite side. Drawing an image of the word beside the word can be a great help as well. Going over and over the words allows those words and concepts to become second nature in his/her mind.
5) Do homework with your child, guiding them along the way.
6) Check parental access on Skyward on a regular basis. It provides current feedback concerning graded assignments.
7) Have students perform regular chores at home. Students who have a structure in place at home, where they have to do regular chores, several times a week, at specific times have a better chance of managing the structure of school assignments and times-lines.
8) Have a specific place at home for homework; turn off TV or other entertainment devices to minimize or even eliminate distractions.
9) Email, text or call me any time. I am happy to discuss anything of interest or concern to you. I sincerely want to see your child thrive. Lets work together to see that happen.
Hope you find this helpful.