• SECTION 504 – Procedural Safeguards

    This is a notice of your parent/guardian rights under Section 504.  These rights are designed to keep you fully informed about the District’s decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of those decisions.

    You have the right to:

    • Have your child participate in and benefit from the District’s education program without discrimination based on disability.
    • An explanation of your and your child’s rights under Section 504.
    • Receive notice before the District takes any action regarding the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.
    • Refuse consent for the initial evaluation and initial placement of your child.
    • Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes your child’s right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate to his/her needs.
    • Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided to non-disabled students.
    • Have your child evaluated for and receive special education services if she/he needs such services.
    • Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions for your child based upon information from a variety of sources, by a group of persons who know your child, your child’s evaluation data, and placement options.
    • Have your child be provided an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the District.
    • Have educational and related aids and services provided to your child without cost except for those fees imposed on the parents/guardians of non-disabled children.
    • Examine your child’s education records and obtain a copy of such records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records
    • A response to your reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child’s education records.
    • Request the District to amend your child’s education records if you believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the District refuses this request, you have the right to challenge such refusal.
    • Request mediation or a Section 504 due process hearing to challenge actions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, or placement. Mediation and hearing requests can be made to the District’s Section 504 Coordinator.
    • Request payment of reasonable attorney’s fees if you are successful on your claim.
    • File a local grievance or a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (206-607-1600 or ed.gov/ocr) or file a complaint in federal court.


    The District’s Section 504 Coordinator is:  Diane Mylett, Counselor;  (509) 878-1921; dmylett@garpal.net


    Download 504 Parent Handout (PDF format)