GPHS Update Week of 9/14-9/18
Dear Garfield-Palouse High School Families;
This next week marks the start of our third week of the 2020-2021 school year! After ten days, I would like to draw your attention to a couple important items:
- Although each class is only thirty minutes, the average student is on the computer for synchronous class approximately 2-3 hrs a day, depending on their schedule, with little to no breaks. To avoid a major restructure and disturbance to the day, we will adjust our classes to account for a 15+ minute break at 1:30 pm each day. Hopefully allowing students the opportunity to stretch, grab a bite to eat, or generally rest their eyes. The daily schedule will be as follows:
11:30 – 12:001st / 2nd
12:00 – 12:303rd
12:30 – 1:00 4th
1:00 – 1:305th
1:30 – 1:45Break
1:45 – 2:156th
2:15 – 2:457th
2:45 – 3:158th
- Student email: Information and contact is being done through student email, students need to check multiple times daily, and use for their online communication. Teachers/Staff are emailing these accounts and not personal emails. If your student has difficulty accessing, please contact the school.
- Attendance/Grade Check: Attendance has been good overall and students have been participating overall. If you know you will miss a day, please be sure to email your teacher(s) and Mrs. Hallan (firstname.lastname@example.org). The first Grade Check with occur September 21, 2020. Although this does not impact extra-curricular participation immediately, students failing at quarter and semester may be deemed ineligible when we return and serve a 3-5 week suspension.
- Students failing at quarter/semester with one F = 3 week suspension from activities
- Students failing at quarter/semester with two or more F’s = 5 week suspension from activities
* This is assuming we return and are able to provide extra-curricular opportunities *
- Online Etiquette: Staff will also visit, or have, but to engage and get the most out of the online class, students should:
- Have video ON / Microphones Off (until prompted)
- Cell Phones put away
- Use Chat/QA feature and actively take notes
Ultimately, through the first two weeks students are doing a really good job of attending, staying engaged, and working with staff. If you have questions about your students grade(s), please contact the school for your skyward information and/or your students teacher(s).
We look forward to the day we return in person, but also excited at the opportunity to see students and work with them online. It has been good to reconnect with students!